Monday, July 26, 2010

Week of July 26th

Monday: John 1:1-18

There is so much in these verses,
1. What did you learn about Jesus while reading?
2. What did you learn about ourselves in relation to Jesus?

Tuesday: John 1:1
1. What is John claiming about Jesus in this verse?
2. Why did John use "the Word" instead of just saying "Jesus"?

Wednesday: John 1:2-3
1. What is John claiming about Jesus in these verses?
2. How would what is said in verses 1-3 offend the Jewish leaders of that day?

Thursday: John 1:4-5
1. Who and what is "the light"?
2. Who and what is "the darkness"?

Friday: John 1:6-8
1. How can we take John the Baptist's example and apply it to our lives?
2. According to verse 8, how do we relate to Christ?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Aaron! It is now on my blogroll, and I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I would share my thoughts and what I feel God was showing me through this week's devos. I think that verses 1-2 clearly state that Jesus is God, that He is eternal, and that He is separate from God the Father. This is the first thing that John wanted to make sure all his readers knew, Jesus is and always has been God.
    In my opinion, John also uses "the Word" for a specific reason. The Jewish people lived by the word, or the Old Testament. John was making it very clear that Jesus is taking the place of the old ways between God and man. Jesus was the new way to God (Read John 14:6), this would have been clear to the early readers.
    On Thursday and Friday, we looked at verses 4-8. In these verses we see Jesus described as the light and the world or sin described as darkness. I think it is clear here why John uses this picture, things are not hidden in the light. There is no sense of deception or unopeness, everything is seen. In the dark we think of things that are unknown, mysterious, or even evil. Light is also seen as knowledge and to be in the dark is to be without. It could also be seen as everything is seen, Jesus sees all.
    The last point that I got out of these readings, and what I feel is the most convicting for me. John the Baptist is an example of who we ought to be. We should be be testifying to this light that has been shined on us. We should reflect Him through our actions and our words. We should always remember that we are not the light but only a witness to the light.
    These are just my thoughts, I would love to hear any of yours.

    ReplyDelete